Friday 29 September 2017

Learn Python 3 The Hard Way: Initial Thoughts

I'm on exercise 15 now, and I'm finding I really enjoy it. It's going slow enough that I feel I can write something from scratch from the concepts I've already learned, and actively encourages hacking and breaking the initial code.

My only complaint is I'm not sure I like the snarky attitude of the author. I hope it's meant to be humourous, as I would really despise him as a tutor. It's very right side/black and white/arrogant thinking that seems to permeate some of the web development scene, which discourages questions and discussion and focuses solely on a RTFM approach. It's an approach I feel puts a lot of people off learning programming or getting more involved, as different people have different ways of internalising difficult concepts. He even says himself to not just stare at code but interact with it and print more outputs to diagnose what's wrong rather than just staring at it... And yet tells people to just "do as he says" rather than ask questions, which seems rather hypocritical. Also, on the one hand he chastises experimentation from "actual" questions he has received ("You shouldn't do that and just write it like I originally said"), and yet simultaneously chastises those who haven't taken time to experiment or break the code.

Again, I hope it's meant mostly in jest. Otherwise he really comes across a dick.

I'm still figuring out the best way to integrate the new course with my GitHub, nonetheless, the old work is still available there. Also, the course I am now following is "Learn Python The Hard Way" by Zed A. Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment