Friday 13 December 2019

Redemption: The Bizarre Changes In My Political Views The Morning After

Had I planned this blog post last night, it would have been a rant post about how everyone was wrong and I was right. That’s an exaggeration, but I think you get the feeling I’m talking about.

However, I woke up this morning with a re-aligning of my political views.
Firstly- and one of the most drastic for me- is that I finally accepted Tony Blair as a good Prime Minister, maybe one of the best. This doesn’t forgive his war, it doesn’t forgive the privatisation of various public services that started under his watch, or enjoying the poisoned apple of the Murdoch press. But, on a continuum, if we returned to a Blair administration today, it would be a far more progressive government than the one we are staring at now. It would certainly help more of our most vulnerable in society. It wouldn’t be as radical as I would have liked… But it would be much more of a positive force for good. And, on top of that, have the mandate of the British people.

The second for me was finally accepting the EU referendum result. I think it will make life harder for us in the long run, and think it will be a sad day for internationalist politics as a whole when it happens. But I am at the point I would rather be under a Labour government- whether Blair or Corbyn- whilst leaving the EU than the Tories.

I found more subtle things changing within me as well. If I were to re-join the Labour Party, I would much more likely vote for a moderate candidate than when I voted for Corbyn a few years ago. I agree with Corbyn much more- but would rather a Labour government actually in power, able to enact at least some of these beneficial policies.
This isn’t where I lay the blame on Corbyn, unlike most on the centre-left. At the end of the day, he was voted as leader by members of the party. He was elected- twice- on a platform that was clear to members, and that he delivered. Sadly, that platform turned out not to be one that would have won this election.

Now isn’t the time to ostracise movements such as Momentum. Instead, invite them to the table, to return the party to the coalition of varied views that make up the centre-to-left spectrum; along with New Labour, Progress, Compass, The Fabian Society, The Co-operative Party and of course the trade unions.

This is the Labour party I would like to return to. We are far, far stronger united and with the common goal of Social Democratic values; improving the Welfare State; improving the lives of the most vulnerable in society than apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment