Friday 13 December 2019

Exasperation.

Exasperation. That is the only word I have about the state of political play at the moment. Now, more than ever, it seems impossible for anyone to have a balanced view: whether "Brexiteer" or "Remoaner", alt-right or "Social Justice Warrior"... Every point of view has a box, or a label, that it belongs to: and every point of view has an ulterior motive. "You would think that" being the natural response.
At this point, I believe it only fair to state my own views. I am a passionate believer in the EU. Some of that is because it melds with my values: that we can be greater as a whole than the sum of our parts. And, that with political as well as an economic union, we are much less likely to go to war. That could be labelled as a rather extreme position, but that position extends internationally. I also strongly support our membership of the UN. And the politics of compromise across nations set a gold standard for the rest of the world. I believe leaving the EU will be one of the biggest mistakes of our generation.

Despite having what some would describe as an "extremist remain" point of view, my personality also very strongly veers me to the solution with the most compromise between groups. Was I an MP, I would have voted for Brexit 4 times by now. This has certain caveats: if I were elected in my constituency specifically on a "stop Brexit" message, I would not have done (i.e. as a Lib Dem or Green Party MP). But, were I a Labour or Conservative backbencher, I would have very likely voted for each of these "deals" (which, let's face it, are nothing of the sort: they are merely the withdrawal agreement... Or rather, the agreement about how we will start to negotiate a deal).
I would do this because we had an election just a year AFTER the 2016 referendum. More than that, one of the strongest messages of the 2011 Alternative Vote referendum was how important the link between a constituent and their MP is. The excuse that the MPs party campaigned on a "leave" manifesto isn't good enough for me. Under our current voting system, the burden is on the voter to find out where their MP lies. Put simply: in 2017, the people had ample opportunity to vote in a Brexit MP if they so desired. (Ironically, I would have far more sympathy if an MEP didn't vote along with their party in the EU Parliament!! As you vote for a party, rather than an individual).

Meanwhile, we have a newly formed Liberal Party... Which basically are the eurosceptic Lib Dems who were kicked out or left their old party. To me, before the EU referendum, the whole selling point of the Lib Dems were that they were a democratic party... That individual opinons are taken into account and voted on... "Democratic" is literally in its name! The stereotypical Lib Dem was portrayed as wearing shorts and sandals at conferences; something I have heard some Lib Dems are "thankful" is dying out. Personally, this makes me sad! To me this suggested, when it came to policy-making, you didn't have to be a stereotypical suit. It spoke of a party that contained a wide range of views. The Lib Dems were a party that were able to go into coalition even with the "evil Tories"... something that, to me, is a very open-minded thing to do. I will always think the Lib Dems were sincere in that coalition; whether the Tories were is debateable. The betrayal for me was the University Fee fiasco; simply because that was a pledge individual MPs made, rather than purely being a party policy... It comes back to the MP-Constituency link. Personally, I believe the Lib Dems acted as a buffer in that coalition... Just think, if the coalition still existed, there probably wouldn't even have been an EU Referendum in the firstplace!!

The final part of this essay/long-form ramble was about "truth". This was the thing that started me off writing in the first place: how will Brexit directly benefit or harm me as an individual? Versus: How will remaining in the EU benefit or harm me as an individual?... However I might do this tomorrow. I might never do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment